Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Story

15 Christmases ago[1] I was in Duluth. At the time I was working as a short order cook[2], which meant I had to work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. All my friends had homes elsewhere, and as such had gone home for the holidays leaving me by myself. I’m fairly resilient and wasn’t overly concerned about being by myself for Christmas.

On the morning of Christmas there was a knock at the door. In my groggy state, I stumbled on over to the door to be greeted by a member of the older gay couple that lived across the street. They had noticed I was alone and wanted to know if I wanted to come over for Christmas dinner.

Dinner was of course fantastic. They had a couple other friends over. I wish I could remember all that was served, but I do remember being warmly welcomed into their home, having great food, great wine, and trying cognac for the first (and frankly only) time.

What I find so special isn’t simply being invited over for dinner. After all, we’ve all done that for friends. It was the fact that they were strangers who simply didn’t want to see someone be alone for Christmas. That dinner will always hold a special place in my heart.

[1]You know you're getting old when you start dating stories beyond a decade.

[2]People often ask why I tip so well - work food service for 3 years and you'll understand.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That would be a good Christmas.

Anonymous said...

That is a cool story. As someone who has spent the majority of my Christmases away from my family, I can surely appreciate that gesture. One Thanksgiving I was invited by this woman who SO wanted to do well. She called me her "orphan" all night long. I had somewhere else to go for Christmas that year.
~B