Tuesday, June 26, 2007

San Diego is a great town.

San Diego is a great town. Fantastic city. But it's a tad expensive.

I happened to be out in Houston a long while ago, and my friend Bill Chapman says to me, "You should move out here", half serious. "Yeah, right." "Look at the price of housing."

So I do. MY GOSH! The offer was too good to pass up. As a result, come July 20th, Karin and I are packing up the truck and moving to Houston, TX.

Trust me - I'm as surprised as anyone that this is where life has taken us. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd live in Texas. But this is where life has taken us, and away we go.

To answer the questions that I get asked most commonly:

  • Why? It really is mostly a financial thing. If I was to get introspective, I'm sure there's something deep inside me that needs to move. I moved a ton as a kid, never living in one house for more than 6 years. We've been in San Diego for 8 years, and in our current house for 4. But that's getting a bit too deep. It will also be nice to experience someplace else. Karin had never lived outside of Minnesota before we moved out to San Diego, so it will be good for her to see how other places are.
  • Scared? Duh. But excited at the same time.
  • What about kickball? Well, that's another story. There is no WAKA league in Houston right now. I will have to work with the WAKA people to get one rolling.
  • What does Karin think? Karin is excited. Karin has yet to visit Houston, but she's still ready to move out there. She's got this amazing peace about the decision. I guess that's a good sign.

I have full plans to keep this up to date during our trek out to Houston.

BTW - anyone want to buy a house?

No comments: