Sunday, February 15, 2009

Friday Five

The Excuse

Well, last week it was simply that I didn’t have a chance to type on out. This week … well, I’d say that it was because my mother was in town, but I wouldn’t want to blame her.

The Week[s]

Last week (the week of 2Feb) I was off in Seattle working TechReady, a semiannual internal Microsoft conference. It was a great experience, and it was nice seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I was able to get to do lunch with a couple of good friends who I hadn’t seen in quite a while which was very nice.

This past week my mother visited. This was her first winter trip to a “warm weather” area, although the weather didn’t really cooperate – it was chilly and rainy basically the entire week. But the weather wasn’t a deterrent, we still had a very good time, including visiting the Cabrillo National Monument. The week included a trip to Pomegranate Restaurant, a Georgian restaurant, as well as a fantastic dinner which featured my mother’s pot roast and latkas. Everyone had a fantastic time.

In a rare moment for me, I also finished a book this week. I polished off The Bourne Supremacy, the second in the series. If you’ve only seen the movies, you need to understand that about the only thing the movies and the books share in common is the names of the characters. After that, everything else is different. But it was a great read. I’m now on to reading Traffic.

The Restaurant

Just down the road from our house is this great place called Pomegranate. It’s a little hole in the wall; for years I drove past there, spent time at the bar next door, and didn’t know it existed or what it was. Finally one day I visited the place with Jumbo and realized what I was missing. The place is run by Georgian natives, with the accents and attitudes to match. The food is traditional offerings, which feature hearty stews that are boldly seasoned. The place is cash only, so keep that in mind when you head over.

The Five

Just some oddball things about me…

  1. I can’t even begin to count the number of computer books I own. Ironically enough, I don’t read well online, so I still prefer books.
  2. I currently have a pretty good backlog of books to read right now. After Traffic I have to read Total Access by Rich Eisen.
  3. I’m currently watching the Daytona 500 in the background. It’s nice to have NASCAR back on for something to watch on Sundays. I miss the NFL.
  4. I’m not at all a car geek. I don’t even know how to change my own oil. However I do drive stick.
  5. If you’re at all interested, I am on Twitter. I don’t know that I grok Twitter, but I’m on it. @jersey1972 if you’re at all interested.

No comments: