Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Five

The Excuse

None needed. W00t!

The Week

For me this was a fantastic week for one simple reason – I only had a 3 day class this week. I was home by Wednesday night, and have been enjoying my time home ever since.

I was out in Houston for a three day class. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to hook up with anyone as I was busy pretty much the entire time. The biggest problem I had was my sinuses revolting – all the travel finally caught up with them and my head was a mess most of the week.

The Restaurant

Since I was home I was able to do lunch with Karin today. We stopped by the 94th Aero Squadron, a replica of a French farmhouse set in WWI. Not only does the restaurant have a ton of charm, it’s location is fantastic – it’s located on Montgomery Field, a small airport in San Diego. For most of the lunch I was watching planes take off and land, one of my favorite things. The food was good, although I didn’t think it was wowing. Granted, I only had a salad, so I’m willing to give them another shot for dinner and a real meal.

The Exercise

Next week. Really. I promise.

The Travel Note

Poor Dora.

On my flight back from Houston a little old lady named Dora was seated next to me. Dora, as we found out, has dementia. She had no idea where she was, what was going on, and by the end of the flight was convinced that everyone around her had stolen her money. She was petrified the entire flight, couldn’t figure out why she wasn’t allowed out of her seat on approach, or why she couldn’t get out of the plane.

Unbelievably, she wasn’t accompanied by anyone, not even a family member. One of the flight attendants used the best adjective for what her family did to her – cruel.

The Five

  1. One of my favorite things is watching airport operations. I could sit and take that in all day long.
  2. One of the little things that I miss the most while travelling is watching sporting events on Sunday. I love being able to relax and watch a golf tournament or a NASCAR race on Sundays. Can’t really do that when I’m flying.
  3. I dig office supplies. I have no idea why or what it is.
  4. Every now and then someone will say, “Wow that sounds glamorous” when I mention that I travel full time. I’m here to tell you it’s not near as glamorous as one might have you believe.
  5. I’m hoping to start taking in ballgames when I’m on the road. I keep showing up in all these cities – I may as well start checking out different ballparks.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ok, OR did Dora buy a ticket and get on the plane? Is her family freaked out because where the heck did Grandma Dora go?

~B said...

I'm so impressed with the on-time posting. Good job! I really don't know where you find the time, what with that glamorous job and all. Yeah, yeah. I'm with you on the glam travel thing. The best was when my friend who was traveling with me gave me a hard time for being upgraded...I gently opened her eyes on what I had to trade in order to get a slightly larger seat, yucky food and just enough bad drinks to make it all forgettable. Glamour.