Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Hate My iPhone

Over the years, I’ve had many a smart phone, to the point where I can’t imagine life without one now. Having my calendar on my phone, as well as my contacts, the ability to check sports scores and Wikipedia from anywhere, and play the occasional game while standing in line is invaluable to me. But no other phone has engendered the passion for a smart phone as the iPhone.

What I find most infuriating is the fact the iPhone does so many things perfectly, flawlessly and intuitively. But too often I’m left scratching my head wondering what in the world the designer was thinking.

With that in mind, here are the 10 things I hate about my iPhone.

  1. No copy/cut/paste – Really guys? No copy/paste?
  2. The calendar doesn’t auto-detect the time zone – The clock on the phone does, but the calendar doesn’t. Which means every time I land in a new time zone I have to manually go in and change it.
  3. No tethering – This is something I’ve been able to do with all of my Windows Mobile devices. It’s allegedly coming, but I’m not too sure. And, no, I don’t want to jailbreak it.
  4. iTunes – I hate, loathe, and otherwise despise iTunes. I can’t for the life of me figure out how Apple, who allegedly makes good looking and easy to use applications, has released iTunes and garners any praise for it.
  5. Can’t remove the built-in applications – I don’t use iTunes. It would be nice to get rid of the icon from my phone.
  6. There’s only two options for the ringer – silent or ring, rather than 3 – silent, ring or vibrate. Yes, you can toggle vibrate, but that requires going into another screen rather than just flipping a little switch.
  7. No turn by turn navigation – Almost every other GPS enabled phone offers this. Why not the iPhone?
  8. No video on the camera – Again, nearly every other phone offers this.
  9. No MMS (multimedia messages) – I’ve seen $20 pay-as-you-go phones offer this, yet the iPhone doesn’t.
  10. No expandability – It would be nice to be able to slide in an SD card to add on memory.

No comments: