Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friday Five

The Excuse

Well, here’s the thing. When I’m at home for a week I usually don’t have a good chance on Friday to sit down and write out a five. I’m trying to spend time with friends, family, and, of course, Rock Band.

The Weeks

As I mentioned in the open I was home two weeks ago. I got a great gig doing online training. It was delivered on central time, meaning I was up and at ‘em by 6:00, but I was also done no later than 2p. It was just fantastic. Although I did learn that it’s not something I could do full time. I missed having the connection with the students; it’s just not the same doing it online.

This week brought me to Tampa (my new Houston). Alas, I had a ton of other work to do, and I was an absolute hermit; it was just work, dinner, and a the four walls of a hotel room.

The Exercise

I have no excuses.

The Restaurant

I don’t normally do this, but you have got to read the review on Yelp for the restaurant this week. We stopped by Muzita Abyssinian Bistro with a few friends this week. It’s an Ethiopian restaurant started by a husband and wife who simply wanted to open a restaurant. The place is just unreal, and any attempts to type out a quick little synopsis here would be pointless – you have to read the full review here (it’s the first one).

The Travel Note

I’m all for someone being efficient. But just a note to the guy looking to rush the rental car off for cleaning and servicing when I returned it – wait until I’ve finished unloading my luggage from the trunk. Just a thought.

The Five

I really did want to do a post last week, if for no other reason than to mark the two year anniversary of the blog. I’m a big proponent of celebrating anniversaries and milestones as I think it helps keep momentum going towards the next one. Plus, it’s just an excuse to celebrate something. As I did last year, I’m going to list off my five favorite posts:

  1. The Perfect Manhattan – Not only did this give me a chance to quote one of my favorite shows (The West Wing), it was also just a lot of fun to write and research. I think this may be my favorite posting ever.
  2. Define “Marriage” – I’ve gotta tell ya – My marriage feels very defended since Prop 8 passed in California. Phew – dodged that bullet.
  3. My Favorite Christmas Story – It was a short post, granted, but it’s still one of my favorite stories, and best expressions of love and compassion I think I have ever seen.
  4. E-ticket Virus – Granted it wasn’t a huge post, but it’s the one that actually shows up on search engines (Google “e-ticket virus” and it will pop up as number 6, but not on the first 5 pages on Bing.)
  5. Get Mesh-ed Up – This one is getting a nod mostly because Mesh came up recently on Facebook. Mesh is still one of my favorite Microsoft products of all time.

No comments: