Friday, November 14, 2008

[Periodically] Friday Five

The Excuse

I must inform you that I always intend to do a Five. Unfortunately, life sometimes conspires against me, and it just doesn’t happen. Last week was a huge week for me (I’ll explain later), and I just didn’t have a chance to put it together. I started, but alas, it just didn’t happen.

The Week[s]

Last week (the week of the 3rd) I was in Atlanta. After going to a particular area a couple of times you get a feel for the place and it becomes more comfortable. What made things even better was that Abram came down from DC to visit. He hung out on Monday night and Tuesday, watching MNF and the election results. It was a blast being able to reconnect with him, and have someone to watch the election with. It made for a very long Wednesday, but the class I was teaching couldn’t have turned out any better. (The marks were the best I’ve had in quite a while.)

This week I was in San Jose. I think I’ve got this area pretty well down. I was able to have dinner one night with a group of friends, and even get in a couple of workouts which was nice. The downside was (of course) that coming to San Jose means dealing with the San Jose airport, and on this particular trip dealing with an RJ (regional jet).

The Exercise

The Atlanta week was a complete wash. I knew it was going to be so I really didn’t get myself too down. This week was a bit better – I did get down to the gym twice, which while not great is still better than nothing.

The Restaurant

This week I met my friends at Aqui, a cafeteria style Mexican fusion type place. I wound up having (because I ordered the wrong thing) a breaded pork thing with pasta. It was good but nothing wowing. Of course I had just come from the gym, so anything at that point would have been good. I’d give the place another shot the next time I’m in town.

The Travel Note

I have been bound and determined to lose something these past few weeks. Recently I have:

  • Left my suitcase in an airport bar (realized it just as I got to the bottom of the Jetway)
  • Locked my suitcase in a classroom (wound up having to break in)
  • Thrown away my wallet (it was under a couple of other items on my desk and I threw it away without realizing it)

And finally I succeeded. I left the cable for my Zune that I use to connect to the car radio in my last rental. I set out on a mission and I succeeded.

The Five

Miscellaneous items

  1. I’ve mentioned this before, but just to reiterate – I’m never comfortable in one place for a long time. I’m kicking around the idea of moving this blog over to Live Spaces by Microsoft, but I haven’t quite decided yet. Don’t worry – there will be plenty of advanced warning should that happen.
  2. There are about 6-10 words that I misspell. Fortunately, my brother and wife are right there to correct me that’s why I have a spell checker. Having said that, the improper use of the their/there/they’re and your/you’re really bug me. That and losing (not loosing).
  3. I used to be rather depressed about turning another year older – to the point where I didn’t want to celebrate or tell anyone it was my birthday. Since passing 30, I’m actually quite OK with it. I’m enjoying my 30’s. (You will notice over on the right side (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down) that there’s my Amazon wish list. I’m not saying that I have a birthday coming up or anything….)
  4. I’ve never broken a bone in my body. I’ve busted up my nose a couple of times (which is just cartilage), and dislocated my finger (in rather nasty form). But never broken a bone.
  5. I’m pretty sure I’m the only person on the planet who owns both a Zune and an iPhone. I personally hate iTunes, so I use the Zune for music. Plus, being able to subscribe to “all you can eat” music is rather convenient for someone like myself who listens to a wide variety of music.

No comments: