Sunday, March 1, 2009

Friday Five

The Excuse

Well, huh. I wasn’t planning on needing an excuse. And then I flat out spaced finishing this on Friday night. Ugh.

The Week

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Or something like that.

I was in Houston again this week, which was just fine. The hotel was fine, the car was fine, the flight was fine. Everything was just fine. I knew I was going to be busy this week as I had a good amount of work to do, but still – it should have been a pretty normal week.

And then on Tuesday night I was asked by the owner Happy Jerseyof the company to accompany them (and others) to the box suite they have at the Toyota Center for the Rockets game. Who am I to say no? As part of the deal, they had a couple of cheerleaders roam into each suite, and of course I couldn’t pass up the photo op.

On Wednesday night it all went wrong. I don’t get sick. I get an annual sinus issue that crops up, and on occasion my voice will go out because of what I do, but I don’t get sick. Until about 11p on Wednesday. I’m pretty sure it was food poisoning as it hit me like a ton of bricks all at once, but I’m not sure. I’m feeling much better today, but I was a miserable human being on Thursday. I couldn’t call in sick and I still had to teach – and be friendly and energetic. Ugh.

The Restaurant

I should know better when it comes to visiting sushi places that try overly hard to be trendy. Generally speaking the money is going to go to decor and not the food. Sure enough, I found just such a place. Close to the hotel was a place called Sushi King, so I stopped in out of convenience more than anything else on Monday (this wasn’t the place that gave me food poisoning). I can sum up my entire experience there in three letters: meh. The seaweed salad was mostly flavorless, and the sushi was decent but that’s about it. Plus the combo I had wound up coming with a deep fried roll, one of my peeves. When you check out new restaurants sometimes you win and sometimes you wind up at Sushi King.

The Travel Note

I’ve found myself starting to pick the most obnoxious color possible when picking out a rental car. Makes it much easier to find the bright yellow car in a parking lot of white and tan cars, and much easier to remember what car I rented in a given week.

The Exercise

I knew it wasn’t going to happen this week as I knew I was going to be busy. But I do need to get back into the groove again.

The Five

Five odds and ends

  1. I own more pairs of shoes than Karin. I’m not sure if that says more about her or me, but in my defense most of them are sports shoes.
  2. The only ballpark in California I’ve never visited is Oakland’s. I’m not in any rush to check it out either.
  3. I used to support Mac OS 7. I don’t miss those days at all.
  4. I hate watching or listening to myself on anything recorded. Oddly enough I find my voice rather annoying. It sounds much better in my own head, though.
  5. I ran track in high school – 110 hurdles. Despite the fact that I was 4’11”.

No comments: