One great part about travelling is the weeks I get to go somewhere cool. This week I was in Arlington, VA. Not only do I love the DC area, but it’s also a fantastic opportunity to get together with Abram, something we took advantage of maybe a little too much.
After this week I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll just never get used to dealing with the cold again – just in case there was any doubt. Not that it was that cold in DC this week, but the wind was enough to drive me crazy whenever I had to head outside.
On Thursday Abram and I checked out a place called Matchbox, which serves what can be best described as high-end junk food. They focus on burgers (in particular their sliders) and pizzas, billing themselves as a “vintage pizza bistro”. Settling in at the bar the first thing you notice is their beer selection. While it’s not extensive, it’s chock full of good beers. Abram told me to have a double IPA that they served in a wine glass. After harassing him about drinking beer out of a wine glass I figured I’d give it a shot and am very glad I did.
Their menu features both “girlie martinis” and “manly martinis”. On the manly list is listed a specialty manhattan which, if you know anything about me, was right up my alley (and outstanding). We both started with the cream of crab soup which was just awesome. The sausage & pepper pizza that we split was good – very good even – but not great. We did liquid dessert, each having a couple of glasses of whisky – the first just because, and the second because the Capitals game just let out and we didn’t want to fight the crowds on the Metro (or at least that’s the excuse we used to have a second glass).
All told, for where it was and what we had the total bill was remarkably reasonable; this is a place I intend to get back to again.
The Travel Note
I suppose as time goes on and I fly more often I’ll eventually run out of “firsts” and eliminate more and more “nevers”. This week saw another first and the elimination of another “never”.
Never before had I been informed that bags weren’t allowed under the seat in front of me in an exit row. Never, that is, until this week.
There’s been quite a bit going on in the sports world lately. I’ve wanted to blog on a couple of items, but in the mean time here’s my quick thoughts on some of the big stories right now:
- While I’m disappointed Tomlinson won’t finish his career as a Charger I’m not surprised the Chargers cut him. He hasn’t been the same back over the last 3 seasons.
- Before you compare what Brittney Griner did to LeGarrette Blount’s actions watch the tape of Blount. Not only did he punch the Boise State player, but was uncontrollable afterwards. Not saying Griner’s act was defensible, but let’s not go overboard on the calls for punishment.
- Tiger’s apology was straight forward. Yes, he didn’t deliver it very eloquently, but he didn’t dodge a single accusation or try to justify his actions. Compare that to any steroid “apology”.
- I’m so very tired of Brett Favre stories. Stop me if you’ve heard me say that before.
- Stories they may not run the Belmont Stakes are extremely disappointing. Not that I’m a huge horse racing fan, but this would put the final nail in the coffin of a struggling sport.