Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Five

The Week

Well, my life is nothing if not consistent. Because I haven’t spent enough time in San Jose, I found myself back here again. It’s a good thing I still know the way.[1]

While there are many people I know up here, this was just not the week for hooking up apparently. One friend was out of town, I was busy a couple nights, and the other friends here weren’t available. I’m sure I’ll be back again soon, though.

The Travel Note

It seems every airport has a looping video just outside the TSA checkpoint explaining the basics for those people who have been living under a rock and still don’t know the rules. They seem to fit the city they’re played in. The San Diego one is very fun, including people from LegoLand and the Padres Friar. The one in Vegas has Carrot Top and the Blue Man Group. The one in San Jose is very dry, very professional and very to the point. No laughter, no fun.

The Restaurant

I realized I’ve yet to highlight the Strip Club in this spot. The Strip Club is a steak place with a racy name and theme. But what makes it unique is the fact you grill your own steaks here. Yup – you order the NY strip (their specialty, of course) and it’s delivered to you raw, wrapped in saranwrap. You then take it up to one of the community grills and away you go. It’s a very social experience, and a guarantee you’ll get your steak the way you want it (and it’s your own damn fault if you don’t). Their sides are also great, including possibly the best onion rings in town.

The Five

I was asked a question earlier today by someone who knows me very well, the answer to which I thought everyone knew. So I guess it’s time for another set of travel notes for my five.

  1. Yes, I do sometimes forget what town I’m in. I find this happens most commonly in the morning[2], or when I’m trying to plan out my dinner. Trying to remember what restaurants are in what city and where becomes a bit of an adventure.
  2. On more than one occasion I’ve tried to drive away in the wrong car. Considering I’m in a different car each week, it becomes a challenge trying to remember what one I’m in.
  3. I have gone to the wrong room on more than a handful of occasions. It’s impossible to go to the front desk and ask, “What room am I in?” and not be sheepish.
  4. Yeah, I get tired of going to the same towns over and over again. Unfortunately I don’t have that much control over it. If there’s a class in a city that has my name on it, I have to go.
  5. Fittingly, I’d love to learn to fly some day. Now if only I’d be home enough to make it happen.

[1] You’re welcome, Brenda.
[2] Although Karin will attest I don’t know much of anything first thing in the morning.