Monday, May 24, 2010

Friday Five

The Excuse

For reasons I’ll mention next week, I absolutely did not have a chance to post this weekend. As for Friday, once I was done with my class I met up with my aunt and brother which killed any chance of me pecking out a Friday Five.

The Week

People always ask if I enjoy travel. Generally I enjoy it, although it’s hard when I’m sent to tiny towns in the middle of nowhere or to San Jose. This week I found myself in the city so nice they named it twice – New York, New York. In case you haven’t been paying attention, New York is my favorite city on the planet, with the exception of Las Vegas (maybe).

New York affords me the opportunity to visit with family and friends – and this week was no exception. Monday I was able to visit my aunt dinner at a great Indian restaurant), and Tuesday saw me with my good friend Megan (sushi and barhopping).

IMG_0472 The highlight of the week was Thursday, when I was able to do dinner with Abram at Lombardi’s, and then meet up with Jumbo for drinks later than night. It was great to be able to catch up with them both, who both happened to be in the same city on the same day.[1]

Every time I visit Manhattan I hear a strong calling to move there. I love basically everything about the city and if given the chance would move there in a second.[2]

The Travel Note

All cities should follow New York’s lead and force their cabs to accept credit cards. I rarely carry cash, and it’s nice to be able to just pay with a card – especially when it’s a business trip.

The Restaurant

This is yet another “I can’t believe I haven’t highlighted this place” entry. I am generally a fan of classics and originals; oftentimes the first version to really catch on is the best. It’s true with movies, it’s true with cocktails, and it’s true with food.

Lombardi’s is the first pizza joint in the US, and by far the best. Coal fired, tasty sauce, and best as the classic cheese with a little basil. Just out of this world. After eating here I really can't do pizza for another couple months because everything else just pales in comparison.

The Five

I’ve been many places in the US, but there are still a few I’ve yet to visit and would like to. Here’s a list of 5 US locations I’ve never set foot in.

  1. Miami, FL - This is just because of the show Dexter. I’ve seen enough shots of the city that I’d like to visit on my own.
  2. Hawaii – Hard to believe I’ve never been over there, but it’s true. But on the other hand, when you live in San Diego with its perfect weather why travel 6 hours on a plane to visit a similar location?
  3. Nashville, TN – After visiting Memphis, I decided I’d like to check out the other Tennessee city as well (even after the flooding).
  4. New Orleans, LA – With my love of Cajun/Creole food, it’s a crime I’ve never been to New Orleans before.[3]
  5. The Bourbon Trail, KY – The only thing I’d need is a designated driver.

[1] That wasn’t entirely a coincidence as you’ll see next week.
[2] Or should I say a New York minute?
[3] Astute readers of this blog will note I did stop in MSY (the New Orleans airport) on a flight home one week. I don’t count the city (or state) unless I leave the airport.

No comments: