Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Five

The Excuse

None needed. W00t!

The Week

IMG_5284 I count my weeks as Friday to Friday, so I didn’t mention this on my last Friday Five, but this past weekend an old[1] friend from college Shelly, who was a bridesmaid in our wedding, and her husband J came out to San Diego. It was fantastic getting to see them again, having them over for dinner, and showing them a bit of our city. We found ourselves at the USS Midway, which has been turned into a museum. If you’ve never done the tour you really owe it to yourself – it’s awesome. If you like you can check out the pictures here.

IMG_0260My travel this week took me to a new city (town?) this week – Athens, GA. Athens basically exists for one reason – the University of Georgia. I didn’t get much of a chance to check out the campus, but I did find myself being a bit more of a tourist this week than normal. I spent a decent amount of time rIMG_0267oaming around their small downtown area which, like Boise, is  surprisingly cool. It’s also of course home to the 40 Watt Club, which is where bands such as the B-52’s and REM got their start (which of course meant I had to get an obligatory picture).

IMG_0262 The other thing that impressed me about Athens, GA was their microbrew scene. They have no less than 3 microbreweries in the area, which for a town this size is remarkable. And the beer is actually pretty solid (even for this admitted San Diego beer snob).

I guess what I’m trying to get at is that I had a pretty good week.

The Exercise

yeah, well…

The Travel Note

One of my favorite little tricks for “printing” a boarding pass when I’m on the road is to fax it to the hotel that I’m staying at. As I discovered this week, this only works when the printer that the hotel has is in working condition.

The Restaurant

Seeing as how I was in the south I figured BBQ was in order. On the advice of my class I went just outside of town to a hole in the wall called “Fresh Air”. The place was tiny, no bigger than our living room/dining room area. They just do pork, and only enough to make it through the day. As a result they were out of ribs when I got there but still had a good amount of pulled pork. The pork itself was flavorful, but the star was the sauce. They had a hot BBQ sauce that was just outstanding. Right amount  of spice and flavor. No frills BBQ.

The Five

Pulled from “the friday five” site.

  1. Do you like your handwriting?
    I do. Although I don’t like writing by hand. I find typing much easier and more natural than writing by hand. I just may be a geek.
  2. Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?
    I print in all capital letters, varying size for case. In fact, as I’ve mentioned before, I had to re-teach myself how to write in lower case letters when I started teaching programming languages that are case sensitive.
  3. Do you think handwriting should be graded in school?
    I don’t know about graded, but good handwriting should be encouraged. Good handwriting, like speaking well, goes a long way in making good impressions.
  4. Do you prefer writing in pencil or ink?
    Mechanical pencil. Did I mention I’m a geek?
  5. When you write in ink, do you prefer a neutral color such as black or blue, or a fun color like purple or green?
    Neutral is just fine. In particular I prefer my I’m A PC pen.

[1] Old as in time we’ve been friends, not age.

No comments: