Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday Five

Another 3-day trip this week. Still takes some time to adjust to. I keep thinking today is Sunday and that I should be on a plane.

Was out in Rogers, again. I was at the same hotel, which has a Famous Dave's right across the street. Needless to say, I had dinner there two out of the three nights I was in town.

I managed to forget my coat. I fly into Tulsa, which is about an hour-30 from Rogers. I drove over with my coat in my back seat, and managed to forget it when I went running to my flight. By the time I realized it, I was on the other side of security, and there was no way I was going to be able to pick it up and still have time to catch my flight (or at least I thought there wasn't - more on that in a second). What will be really interesting is I'm in Seattle next week, where it's 40's and snowing. Fun!

As for why I might have been able to catch my flight, the plane that I was going to be flying out on had a sick passenger when it landed in Tulsa. Ambulance sick. Apparently threw up on the plane. Nobody was allowed to sit in row 9. And mind you, this was a small jet. Fortunately, they managed to air the place out very well.

On to the five. Not sure why I haven't done this sooner, but here's a list of 5 movies that I've thoroughly enjoyed that next to nobody has seen.

  1. High Fidelity - The impact this movie had on my outlook on life cannot be overstate. It explains relationships through the eyes of the male mind. While the book is better, the movie is spectacular. Every male owes it to themselves to watch this movie.
  2. Lost in Translation - Exploration of both middle age and a new marriage. The fact that Bill Murray didn't win an Oscar for his performance is an absolute crime.
  3. Beautiful Girls - Small movie with Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, and a 15-yr old Natalie Portman. Based in small town New York, it focuses on Willie, a guy in his late 20's returning home to soul search before possibly getting married. Great flick.
  4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I can't even describe this movie. It's a sci-fi love story, in a nutshell. If you decide to watch it, do it on a system that has surround sound. You'll thank me later
  5. Better Luck Tomorrow - A story about a group of smart Asian-American teens in Orange County. Well done, and very disturbing.

No comments: