Friday, February 8, 2008

What's in a Name?

This might surprise a couple of you, but my real name isn't "jersey". No really, it's not. My full name is Christopher Patrick Harrison. It's the longest 3-name combination I've come across. So long, that my last name is on the next line of my license, which causes a small issue about once every 5th time someone looks at it.

In the mean time, I don't mind being called "Chris" or "jersey". But when I'm doing work, I prefer "Christopher". Maybe it's just a separation for me between my personal and professional lives, but it's what I prefer.

One of the things I've noticed, though, is that it's very rare that people are willing to use my full name. I notice that names like "Michael" and "Matthew" are commonly left as is, but I'm always "Chris", even if I haven't said I want to be called "Chris".

I don't know if it's the 3 syllables, or the fact that most every "Christopher" goes by "Chris", but I can never have my full name be respected.

Not a big thing, just something I've noticed.

1 comment:

Abe said...

god you're your father's son