Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Five

The Week

I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s worth saying again – there are weeks when I find out I’m going to Chicago! And then later find out that the real fact is I’m headed to a suburb a solid 20 miles outside of the city. Granted, I was teaching a bootcamp this week, meaning I was “on the clock” from 8:30a-8:00p so I wouldn’t have had much time to actually get out and do anything anyway. But it still would have been nice to have been in downtown Chicago.

In any event, while I wasn’t able to get out to the city, I was still able to get in my runs through a little creative planning. One was on a treadmill, but the other two were through a nice forest reserve just around the corner from where I was staying. I’d run through there before, and I’m here to tell you it’s gorgeous. Well, it’s gorgeous when it’s green. It was still rather brown as winter has just finally ended here.

And I’d also be remiss if I left off a mention of the weekend. Susan, my partner in the IT Grand Prix, brought her husband and kids out for a vacation in San Diego. They had a fantastic time doing all the tourist things that Karin and I never find time to do. This past Saturday marked the third weekend in a row that we’ve double dated. That will be coming to an end this weekend, as Karin and I won’t be going out to Ottawa, even if it is our turn.

The Restaurant

This week I want to go a little more low-brow, and highlight my favorite sub shop chain – Jersey Mike’s. Being from New Jersey[1]I’m used to certain foods a certain way – cheesesteaks, pizza, bagels, and subs. Having been out of the state for a good 19 years now, I’ve grown accustomed to simply giving up hope of enjoying those items the way they were meant to be made.

Thus enter Jersey Mike’s. Jersey Mike’s is a sub shop based out of ... wait for it ... Jersey. Their subs feature different types of spiced ham, plenty of meat, and a good amount of olive oil, vinegar and spices. They just pile everything on there. And the bread is nice and hearty.

If you want to pick up a Jersey accent, find your nearest Jersey Mike’s, order a #5 Mike’s Way, add pickles. And even if you don’t want the accent, it’s still an amazing sandwich.

The Travel Note

See below.

The Five

Five travel items.

I generally leave every tag on my roller bag. I’m not quite sure why I started it, but it’s now become a thing. I will say it does make it easier to spot.

  1. I believe luggage locks are the most useless things on the planet. If someone wants to get into your bag, they’re going to get into your bag.[2]
  2. I’m glad to see more airlines are moving to mobile boarding passes. More secure and more convenient FTW![3]
  3. Despite the fact that Lindberg Field (San Diego’s airport) has a propensity for fog, I’ve yet to be diverted or have a missed approach there.
  4. The only missed approach I’ve been a part of was when Karin and I were flying into Melbourne. I don’t think we’ve ever been bounced around more than that approach and landing. He pulled it off the second time around.
  5. Nobody appreciates the special treatment frequent flyers get more than I do. By far the number one benefit is the ability to cut the line at security.

[1] Thus the nickname.
[2] That said, I do have one on my computer bag. Buy me a drink sometime and I’ll tell you the story; it’s not there for security.
[3] Susan – FTW = For The Win.

No comments: